DIRECTOR: Mel Gibson
STARRING: Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau, Patrick McGoohan, Catherine McCormack
RATED: R
OPINION STARS: 2 out of 5
THIS FILM IS: Violent, Epic, Gritty
---------------------------
DESCRIPTION: Set in 13th century Scotland, Braveheart follows the bold exploits of Scottish warrior William Wallace. When the woman he loves is slaughtered at the hands of English soldiers, Wallace - initially content to remain non-combative - wreaks vengence on her murderers and takes a stand against English tyranny in Scotland. Utilizing the steel of his sword and the fire of his intellect, he gathers an amateur but fiercely patriotic army and begins a long,
bitter struggle to free his country from England's rule. Winner of 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture 1995.
---------------------------
VIOLENCE AND GORE: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
FRIGHTENING CONTENT: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
LANGUAGE: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
MATURE THEMES: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
INDECENT CONTENT: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
---------------------------
NOTE: Having heard so many good things about it, and being an ardent Scottish history buff, I was really disappointed with Braveheart. The history in this movie is incredibly bad. And I mean, incredibly. I can tolerate a few historical inaccuracies in a film, but blatant rewriting of history is something I find very hard to stomach. And in Braveheart, such rewriting abounds. I won't go into details here: if you don't believe me, go read up on it and see for yourself. The real, honest-to-goodness story of William Wallace is far more interesting than anything made up in Hollywood.
--------------------------------
Not Recommended
"Every man dies... not every man really lives."







